Autism Spectrum Disorder Program
This service is designed to assist individuals with autism to prepare for, secure, retain, advance in or regain, an employment outcome that is consistent with their unique strengths, resources, priorities, concerns, abilities, capabilities, interests, and informed choice. Service will also address workplace support required, social reciprocity, effective communication strategies, job expectations and productivity requirements.
Summary of Services
Services are developed based on the individual’s employment background, employment choices, strengths, abilities and interests.
Job-related services may include:
- Job search and placement assistance
- Job retention services
- Follow-up services
- Follow-along services
Services are based on a continuum of career exploration and employment that may include all or part of the following:
- Work-based learning experiences, that is provided in an integrated environment in the community which will explore the interaction of the individual with environmental factors;
- Exploration regarding enrollment in comprehensive transition or postsecondary educational programs at institutions of higher education;
- Workplace readiness training to develop social skills and independent living;
- Instruction in self-advocacy (including instruction in person-centered planning), which may include peer mentoring (including peer mentoring from individuals with disabilities working in competitive integrated employment).
- Teaching effective strategies to increase the likelihood inclusion in communities and competitive integrated workplaces;
- Applying evidence-based findings to develop and improve strategies to obtain, advance in and retain competitive integrated employment;
- Providing education and resources to family members to enable the individual to achieve a successful employment outcome.
If the individual is still in school seeking employment, ASD services can be provided by cooperatively with transition services of local educational agencies.
100 Summit Street
Brighton, MI 48116